The Auditor General, Mr. Deodat Sharma, on Monday, September 19, 2022, handed over the Auditor General’s Report for the fiscal year ended 2021 to the Hon. Manzoor Nadir, M.P., Speaker of the National Assembly.
The ceremony was held in the M.P.s Lounge of the Public Buildings, Brickdam, Georgetown.
The Report was handed over days before the customary September deadline.
This is in accordance with Article 223 (3) of the Constitution of the Co-operative Republic of Guyana, which states that ‘the Auditor General shall submit his or her audit reports to the Speaker of the National Assembly, who shall cause them to be laid before the National Assembly.’
The Report will be made public after it is tabled at the next Sitting of the National Assembly.
In addition to the Auditor General's Report, five Performance Audit Reports were also handed over to the Speaker of the National Assembly. Those are as follows:
· Management of Medical Waste at Hospitals
· Management of Drugs and Medical Supplies at the Ministry of Public Health and Regional Health Facilities
· Receipt, Storage, and Distribution of Textbooks to Schools
· Review of Training Programmes Established and Developed by the Council of Technical and Vocational Education and Training
· Guyana’s Preparedness for Marine Oil Spill Response
Present at the handing-over ceremony were Hon. Juan Edghill, M.P., Minister of Public Works, Hon. Dharamkumar Seeraj, M.P., Hon. Sanjeev Datadin, M.P., Hon. Juretha Fernandes, M.P., Mr. Sherlock Isaacs, A.A., Clerk of the National Assembly, Ms. Deslyn West, Deputy Clerk of the National Assembly (ag), and senior staff members from the Auditor General’s Office, Finance Ministry, and the Parliament Office.