A distinguished delegation of high-ranking officials from the state of New York embarked on a historic courtesy call to the Parliament of Guyana. The visit, which took place on Friday, October 27, 2023, showcased the strong and growing ties between the United States and the Cooperative Republic of Guyana.
The meeting was held in the Chamber of the Public Buildings, Brickdam, Georgetown.
The New York State delegation arrived in Guyana as part of a broader initiative to strengthen diplomatic, economic, and cultural connections between the United States and Guyana. The visit underscored the significant role that the Guyanese-American community in New York plays in fostering these connections.
During their courtesy call, the delegation was warmly received by Guyana's esteemed parliamentary members, led by the Hon. Dharamkumar Seeraj, M.P. (Representative of the Speaker of the National Assembly) and the Hon. Dr. Karen Cummings, M.P., (Opposition Member of Parliament). The agenda of the visit included discussions on key areas of mutual interest, such as the exchange of ideas on social issues and recommendations along with emphasis on various areas in the education and health sectors. Both sides expressed a strong commitment to deepening collaboration in these sectors to benefit the citizens of their respective regions.
The members of the delegation were as follows:
New York State Senators
- Senator Roxanne Persaud, Chair on the Committee of Social Services
- Senator Kevin Parker, Chair of the Committee on the Committee on Energy and Telecommunications
- Senator Leroy Comrie, Chair of Committee of Corporations, Authorities, and Commission
Members of the New York State Assembly
- Speaker Carl Heastie
- Assemblywoman Monique Chandler-Waterman
- Assemblywoman Alicia L. Hyndman, Chair of the Committee of Standing Committees
- Assemblywoman Jodi Giglio
- Assemblyman Angelo Santabarbara, Chair of the Commission on Rural Resources, and Subcommittee of Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Assemblywoman Jamie Williams, Chair of the Real Property Taxation Committee, and Chair of the Subcommittee of Emergency Response/Disaster Preparedness
- Assemblywoman Stephani Zinerman, Chair of the Subcommittee on Emerging Workforce
Schenectady County Legislature
- Philip Fields, Deputy Chair of the County Legislature
Schenectady City Council
- John Mootooveren, Chair of Finance Committee
Staff Members of the Parliament Office present during the courtesy call were:
• Ms. Hermina Gilgeours, Deputy Clerk of the National Assembly
• Ms. Deslyn West, Assistant Clerk of the National Assembly
• Mrs. Sonia Maxwell-Beckles, Head of Committees Division
• Mr. Yannick December, Public Relations Officer
• Mr. Etwaroo Jagernath, Assistant Sergeant-at-Arms
• Mrs. Maritza Dodson, Parliamentary Executive Assistant (ag.)
During the visit, the delegation also signed the visitors’ book.