Youth Parliamentarians for the junior and senior categories today met in the Chamber of the Public Buildings, Brickdam, Georgetown, to rehearse for the upcoming Sittings for the 7th Annual Youth Parliament.
There will be two days of Sittings for this year’s Youth Parliament. The first and second Sittings will commence tomorrow, Wednesday, August 17, 2022, beginning with the junior category at 9:00 a.m., followed by the seniors at 1:00 p.m.
The third and fourth Sittings are scheduled for Thursday, August 18, 2022.
Today the participants met physically for the first time in this Hybrid format.
During the morning session, the junior participants benefitted from a demonstration by the Speaker of the National Assembly, the Hon. Manzoor Nadir, M.P., of the opening proceedings for the Sittings.
Apart from the rehearsal, the participants interacted with members of the planning committee attached to the Parliament Office. They were also given a brief history of the Public Buildings via a tour of the Chamber.
Virtual sessions conducted, for the participants, since the opening of the 7th Annual Youth Parliament are as follows:
- Drafting Motions: conducted by the Hon. Gail Teixeira, M.P., Minister of Parliamentary Affairs and Governance and Government Chief Whip.
- Parliamentary Etiquette and Decorum by the Hon. Dr. Vindhya Persaud, M.P., Minister of Human Services and Social Security
- Role of Members of Parliament by the Hon. Amanza O.R. Walton-Desir, M.P.
- Branches of Government
- Functions of Parliament by Ms. Hermina Gilgeours, Deputy Clerk of the National Assembly
- Introduction to Mentors (MPs) by Ms. Sereeta Bethune, Clerk of Committees
- Leadership Session by the Hon. Manzoor Nadir, MP, Speaker of the National Assembly
- The Art of Public Speaking by Dr. Valerie Goorasammy-Smith and Mr. Reon Miller
- Research and Information Gathering Mentorship Sessions, from the Government Benches, the Hon. Alister S. Charlie, M.P., and the Hon. Dr. Jennifer Westford, M.P., and from the Opposition benches, the Hon. Juretha V. Fernandes, M.P., and the Hon. Nima N. Flue-Bess, M.P.
Sittings of the 7th Annual Youth Parliament will be streamed live on the Parliament’s official website and on the social media pages: Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.